Posted by Sha
The 19th Asian Junior Athletics Championships will be organized from 14th to 17th May 2020 at Suphachalasai National Stadium in Bangkok, Thailand.
Countdown to this event
Submit your interest by 6 April 2020, 2359H
- 13 Dec - Page posted.
Competition Period: 14 to 17 May 2020
Period of travel: 12 to 18 May 2020
Qualifying Period: 5 April 2019 to 6 April 2020
Qualifying Criteria: 6th placed performance (or better) of last Asian Junior Championships
Qualifying Age: 16, 17, 18 or 19 on 31 December 2020
Official website: athleticsasia.org
1. General Information
- Singapore Athletics Association (SA) intends to nominate all athletes (except for relays) for the 19th Asian Junior Athletics Championships (AJAC) who have achieved the criteria. A maximum of two athletes from any one Member can compete in each event.
2. Qualifying Period
- The qualifying period lasts from 5 April 2019 to 6 April 2020.
3. General Eligibility
To be eligible for selection each athlete must:
- 3.1 Be a citizen of the Republic of Singapore; (Note: Permanent residents are not considered as citizens.);
3.2 Only athletes aged 16, 17, 18 or 19 years on 31 December 2020, may compete in any event.
3.3 Have met the performance requirements stated below (see table 1) in a competition mentioned under 5.;
3.4 Be able to commit to a AJAC finalist level training program which includes a structured annual plan and a AJAC finalist level event specific training program with at least ten hours of training every week until AJAC;
3.5 Have submitted the interest form to be considered for AJAC to SA by 6 April 2020;
3.6 Have signed an athletes’ agreement;
3.7 Be available to fulfil the Team Commitments as listed below and any additional commitments following nomination and selection; as allowed by the permanent geographical training location;
3.8 Not used or administered any substance which if it had been detected as being present in the athlete’s body tissue or fluids, would have constituted doping, or used any prohibited method or committed any other doping offense as defined in ADS’s, WADA or World Athletics’s Anti-Doping By-law(s).
4. Competitions for qualifying
- 4.1 All achievements submitted for consideration should have taken place at SA/World Athletics sanctioned championships and trials, but athletes may submit the achievements from overseas championships and meets of athletes studying in overseas tertiary institutions. However, these have to be properly accredited and sanctioned to be accepted (Written confirmation by SAA upon sanction applied).
4.2 Achievements from overseas championships have to be properly accredited and sanctioned to be accepted. However, these have to be properly accredited and sanctioned to be accepted (Written confirmation by SA upon sending an email to SA).
4.3 For 100m, 200m, 100m/110m hurdles, long and triple jump events: only performances with legal wind-speed will be accepted.
4.4 For all track and road racing events: only performances measured by using an electronic timing system will be accepted. Road performances will be accepted for race walk.
5. Team Commitments
All athletes must:
- 5.1 Comply with the provision of the SA Athletes Agreement at all times;
5.2 Conform to SA requirements regarding team participation. This includes, but may not be limited to, providing the required training plans, attendance at pre-event camp and wearing team uniform as required;
5.3 Make themselves available for all team activities designated by SA, as allowed by the geographical training location;
5.4 Not act in such a manner to bring the athletes, officials or SA in public disrepute;
5.5 Athletes are required to appear at events and platforms whereby their images and presence are needed to achieve SA’s objective
- a. A maximum of 2 appearances for SAA will be required
b. Appearances will not exceed more than two  hours in duration.
- In the event that a selected athlete decides to withdraw from the competition (unless injured, proved by medical certificate) more than three days after SA announced the final lists of participants, the athlete has to bear the full costs (air tickets, insurances, accommodation or other costs) that SAA has paid for the trip. No replacement will be made for last minute withdrawal.
7. Nomination process
- Any eligible athlete achieving the entry standard mentioned in table 1 during the qualifying period will be considered for nomination.
8. Selection process
- 8.1 The first [1st] and second [2nd] ranked athletes in the 2020 season’s ranking (Comprising competitions mentioned at 5.) for all events will then be selected for AJAC nomination.
8.2 In case there is a tie between two or more athletes, SA will compare and choose the athlete’s 2nd best performance and so on, achieved in the respective period (comprising competitions mentioned at 5).
8.3 The nomination panel reserves the right not to nominate an athlete/team to represent Singapore in the AJAC if, in its sole opinion, the athlete/team concerned cannot meet the fitness and performance targets set by SA.
8.4 Athlete/s shall be required to be certified medically fit to compete at the AJAC by qualified SSI personnel prior to nomination to the AJAC, and shall remain medically fit to compete to be eligible to compete in the AJAC.
9. Coaches selection
- 9.1 A staff member of the High-Performance Department may be the Head Coach / Team Manager for AJAC if there is a need for a Head Coach / Team Manager.
9.2 The number of team coaches selected will depend on the number of athletes selected and will be determined by the number of accreditation provided by the organised.
9.3 The team coaches will be nominated in accordance with the following priority under these restrictions:
One [1) coach for each of the event groups (sprints / jumps / pole vault / throws / middle & long distances + race walking / multi-events) in which Singaporean athletes are competing at. The coach who is dealing with the highest ranked athlete will be selected first. The coach who is dealing with the next ranked athlete in another event group will then be selected as the 2nd coach (and so on).
- 10.1 Where there is a conflict or dispute in respect of these Guidelines for the nomination of athletes to represent Singapore in the AJAC, SA reserves the sole right to interpret this document and to use its discretion in the resolution of the matter in conflict or dispute.
10.2 The appeal board should not be seen as:
- 1. A second pass selection panel, excusing the initial selection panel from undertaking true and diligent procedures
2. An automatic second chance for selection by the athletes
10.3 Athletes may only appeal on the grounds that the nomination event was not executed in accordance with its notice of race or the nomination process was not carried out in accordance with this policy document.
10.4 The Athlete Selection Appeals Standing Committee made up of three MC members who are not part of the nomination panel to hear the appeal within one week of receipt.
10.5 Any appeal must accord with the following procedure:
- 1. Athletes must state in writing, their intention to appeal a selection decision within seven (7) days of the announcement of the initial nomination decision. Written intentions to appeal must be submitted to:
Singapore Athletic Assn
3 Stadium Drive, 397630 Singapore
2. The Honorary Secretary General immediately informs the Athlete Selection Appeals Standing Committee. The Athlete Selection Appeals Standing Committee shall convene its first hearing within seven (7) days from receipt of such notice.
3. The Athlete Selection Appeals Standing Committee is not bound by the rules of evidence but must observe the principle of procedural fairness.
4. The Athlete Selection Appeals Standing Committee will give its decision as soon as practicable after the hearing and will provide their decision to SA’s MC and the Sports Development and Performance team and the appellant with a statement of the reason for its decision.
4 finalists only
5 finalists only
As 2DQ & 1DNS
4 teams only
5 teams only
3 athlete NM
5 finalists only
17th Asian Junior Athletics Championships 2018
17th Asian Junior Athletics Championships 2016
16th Asian Junior Athletics Championships 2014
15th Asian Junior Athletics Championships 2012
13th Dec 2019