UPDATE #3: 13 Feb 2015 – Remembering Zaki one year on.
UPDATE #2: 24 Oct 2014 – Tshirt sale proceeds and more donations amounted to $3493.50. Good job everyone!
UPDATE: 28 Feb 2014 – SAA has managed to collect $2750 for Zaki Sapari donation fund.
$1020 from our first collection, and $1730 on the second one.
Many of those who donated has never met Zaki, but felt compelled to chip-in the fundraising campaign for him after reading about this talented young man who has answered God’s calling.
Thank you again for coming forward, the outpouring of support from everyone — and not just the financial.
You can still contribute and help out with Zaki Sapari Apparel.
Md. Zaki Sapari was one of the brightest hurdling talent the Republic has unearthed in decades, record holder in the men national junior 400 metres hurdles record (53.51 seconds) event, and has set his sights on the senior record ranks next.
He lowered his personal best year after year, 53.59 seconds in 2011, before improving it to 53.51 seconds the next year, and hitting another lifetime best in 2013, clocking 53.44 seconds.
The men national record of 52.3 HT was within his grasp but God has other plans for Zaki.
The 22-year-old succumbs to a road accident late last night, and we the SAA family and the local athletics fraternity are devastated by his sudden departure.
He was a humble and well-liked young man, evident from the outpouring of love and tributes. Here’s to a few of quotes from some of his friends.
Soh Rui Yong, “More than his exploits on the track, I will remember Zaki for being an incredibly fun and easy-going guy, yet hardworking and focused when it came to getting his goals in life.”
Hakeem Halim, “He was gonna go far, had already come so far. For a person so young, so in tune with the world, to go, it’s just not fair. Not fair. Zaki, you were one of the good guys. May you be in a better place.”
Lu Weiyi, “I have always known him to be one of the most humble, down to earth, dedicated and hardworking guy. Above all, a great friend. Though our times we had together been short, they will always be in my heart. Until we meet again.”
Gabriel, “His unparalleled hard work through the years eventually paid off as he was often, overshadowed by his faster peers. But hard work eventually pays off and he truly started hitting the record marks and represented the nation.”
Md Amirudin, “He dreamed of winning in his own backyard in 2015. And his dream and memories will continue to live on in my heart. Until we meet again Brother.”
Condolences to the family.
Donations are appreciated. Zaki was the eldest child leaving behind 5 siblings and was set to be the sole breadwinner. Contact us at [email protected].
- ARTICLE – Singapore national hurdler Zaki Sapari killed in Valentine’s Day tragedy.
- ARTICLE – Athletics fraternity pays tribute to Zaki Sapari.
- ARTICLE – Athletics fraternity mourns for hurdler Zaki Sapari, who was killed in motorcycle crash.
- ARTICLE – Singapore national hurdler Zaki Sapari killed in motorcycle crash.
- ARTICLE – Campaign to help family of ex-hurdler Zaki
- VIDEO of “Remembering Md Zaki Sapari” by Club Zoom
- FACEBOOK – In Memory of Zaki Sapari
- FACEBOOK – Zaki Sapari Apparel
- FACEBOOK – Iron Fitness Singapore fund raising
- FACEBOOK – Zaki maiden journey in athletics was…
- FACEBOOK – SAA President Mr. Tang Weng Fei highlights Zaki Sapari feat …
- FACEBOOK – His feature article, splashed across the Straits Times sports…
- FACEBOOK – Cover photo
- FACEBOOK – SAA President Mr. Tang Weng Fei leading the tribute for Zaki Sapari
- FACEBOOK – One of #OurTeamSG up and rising stars, Md Zaki Sapari
- FACEBOOK – A moment of silence for Md. Zaki Sapari before…
- FACEBOOK – Remembering Zaki…
- FACEBOOK – Md. Zaki Sapari was one of the brightest hurdling talent the Republic has unearthed in decades
- FACEBOOK – On this Valentine’s Day, I say a heavyhearted goodbye to a great friend of mine…